My Books

Monday, March 3, 2008

little bets in the big apple

Jeff and I just got back from a long weekend in NYC. We were supposed to be headed there for the Society of Illustrators 50th Annual awards presentation and gala for the Book and Editorial categories, which I have a piece in. BUT, I accidentally booked our flights for a weekend later. And when I realized it, Continental took no pity on me. So, we ended up going just because, which is sometimes the very best reason...no reason at all!

We did still get to see the exhibition. It's a great show, and definitely worth seeing if you're into illustration or books. Here's my piece in the show–it's from my book Peanut Butter and Jellyfishes: A Very Silly Alphabet Book by Brian P. Cleary:


© 2007 Betsy E. Snyder

We also saw a great show at the MOMA...Lucian Freud: The Painter's Etchings. I love Lucian Freud's work AND I love printmaking, so seeing his etchings was enough of a reason for a trip to NYC. To me, his work looks like sculpture–it's so malleable and visceral and textural. I was super inspiring to get up close to his etchings and REALLY look at his mark-making and areas of light and dark. I also love his color palettes in his paintings...I'm always amazed at the subtlety and layering of color he achieves in his skin tones.


More NYC highlights to come...I have to find the cord for my camera so I can upload some photos!

1 comment:

coloredsock said...

it's me again. hey, congrats on your painting in the society show! you rock! i'm so happy for you. it's a really nice piece. i can't wait to see your book, Haiku Baby. and i loved reading about your NY trip and Jeff's proposal...ah, love. and no, there definitely could not be too many flower windows or striped socks or scarves in the world. xojenny