My Books

Monday, March 10, 2008

i do...deja vu

This is my very favorite bridge. No, it's not the bridge I flew over in junior girl scouts (though that was cool too...for some reason that was such a BIG deal at the time). This is the Bow Bridge in Central Park, where I got engaged less than a year ago (much to my surprise). I thought Jeff and I were doing a photo shoot in Central Park for my head shot, so I was trying to act all model-like and was following Jeff's photographer instructions very closely, "Look left. Look right. Look up. Keep looking up until I tell you to look down...okay, look down." And there he was, on bended knee, holding the tiny ring in his hand and asking me to marry him. When I finally remembered to say "Yes!" we were applauded by a bridge-full of onlookers. It was like a dream, like what you see in the movies. Every morning for a week I'd have to check my finger when I woke up to make sure there was still something sparkly there. And the funniest thing is that Jeff was completely improvising at the time he proposed...his original plan to propose at the Guggenheim was foiled when all the center galleries and lobby were closed. But I think it all happened just the way it was supposed to.

We went back to the bridge last Sunday morning, and Jeff, my (now) husband surprised me with a stop at Crumbs bake shop on our way to the park. We got our order to go, and had a lovely cupcake breakfast in our little magic hut by the bridge. It's amazing how your life can change in a year. And how a place can transport you back there in an instant.


I spy our magic hut. There should be more flower windows in the world...such a nice shape to peer through, don't you think?


I love the detail of the bridge. Our dear friends Nicole and Genna of Invite Design incorporated the pattern into our custom wedding invitations.


Us married folks. Lately, I've been thinking about the symbolism of the bridge...something that joins 2 sides, a crossing point. I like thinking about marriage as a bridge.

No comments: