My Books

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

ICON5 scrapbook


I was in NYC last Wednesday through Sunday for the illustration conference. The trip was so inspiring for so many reasons that I don't even know where to start! It came at a perfect time for me because I'm just finishing up 2 big book projects and now I feel so rejuvenated and ready to move on to new things.

If you're an illustrator and you've never been to the conference, or if you missed this one, you should check out the official ICON site so you can get an idea of what it's all about. Plus, they plan on posting follow-ups and content from some of the presenters, so stop back later too.


The conference took place in the historic Roosevelt Hotel on Madison at 45th. I love the details of old hotels and have to say it was one of the best hotels I've stayed in NYC.


On Thursday I did a studio tour of Curious Pictures in the morning. That was interesting to me because they do a lot of animation for children's series, which is something I'd like to get into someday.


Thursday afternoon I went to Jessie Hartland's studio. I've admired her artwork for several years. I love the naive quality of her painting and that her art really speaks to people of all different age groups. It's so approachable. I especially liked to hear her talk about her experience designing Christmas window displays for Bloomingdale's. What an amazing opportunity! She had this reindeer you can see in the background hanging up at the entrance to her studio.


our tour group on the roof of Jessie's building


From the rooftop, we could see the Brooklyn Bridge with the waterfall installation by Danish artist Olafur Eliasson.


The day before, I got to meet Maria Eugenia, who came all the way from Brazil. She's also represented by my agent, so it was fun to meet a fellow Painted Words artist!

After the day of studio tours, the rest of the conference events were mostly at the hotel, other than some gallery openings in the evenings.


I loved how this table evolved into a place where everyone would leave their promo cards. It was fun to dig through the pile of postcards and find little treasures of art.

In addition to the inspiration I gained from all of the presenters, one of the big highlights for me was meeting new people, developing friendships and spending time with old friends. My dear college friend Megan O'Brien was with me at the conference and made it that much MORE fun and meaningful, and I also got to reconnect with Jeanine Henderson and meet some of her NY buds. We all had a blast together and tore up the dance floor at the closing party. I'm sure there will be some interesting (and probably embarrassing) dance photos of us that end up on the ICON site, but for now, here are my favorite friend-time pictures:


rooftop patio bar at our hotel


Megan and Jeanine, my silly mojito girls!


who knew it could still be so fun in the rain?


lovely megan with her parasol


4th of July...see the fireworks waaaaaay in the background?


Megan at dinner in a French cafe in SoHo




Princess Megan and Mardi Gras Jeanine at the closing party


no, it is not New Year's Eve...this is just what happens when you get a bunch of crazy artists together for a party

So, those are the ICON highlights. Good times. Hope to see all my ICON peeps back again at the next one!

2 comments:

coloredsock said...

looks like you had a blast! Megan, too. can't wait to hear more about the conference on ICON's site and hopefully yours. maybe i'll make it next year!

Betsy Snyder said...

Hi Jenny,
You should definitely try to come to the conference next time. We would have so much fun. They usually skip a year though.

We bumped into Maria Carluccio there too:) It was fun to see her again and catch up a bit.

Did you teach your class yet?